Friday, November 26, 2010

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

As each holiday season approaches, I get more and more excited about the Thanksgiving Holiday!  I mean, first of all - it's an entire day dedicated to eating home cooked rich and fatty food!  What's NOT to like?  And second, you get the same yummy food and family time as Christmas, but without the stress of present wrapping and making sure to get everything checked off your list! :)

Traditionally, my family and I usually go up to my aunt's house in St. Augustine to celebrate the day with my mom's side of the family.  This year, we decided to hang around Orlando and enjoy the holiday with people who are practically family.  That's right - I got to see Court and the B clan twice in one week!

When we pulled up to their house, I was greeted by the bubbly momma to be - Court! She is so cute preggo, and is just starting to show.  The kitchen was filled with yummy smells, and one of the first things we did after saying hello to everyone was grab a nice hot cup of apple cider - YUM! I forgot how good that stuff is, my mom used to make it when she had holiday parties, but we haven't done those in a while.

Plate number 1 for me, SO much good food!
Court's mother - Bev must have spent an entire week in the kitchen, cooking for about 25 people! We had turkey (of course), stuffing, green bean casserole, mac and cheese (the amazing kind with the hard crust top!), broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cream corn, jello salad, rolls, and the list goes on!  I'm not going to even get into what there was for dessert....but there was just as much of a selection there as there was for dinner!  She did such an incredible job cooking for all of us, and did it all with a smile.  It was nice to spend the day with them. 

The Dessert Table - SOOO worth it!
After dinner, we all hung outside to enjoy the beautiful Florida weather.  Too bad it wasn't cold at all, but it was nice enough to lounge by the pool - so nice, that one by one we each started to doze off.


WHAT IS IT about Thanksgiving that makes you instantly drowsy and ready for a nap?  The turkey? The large amount of food? Or the feeling of exhaustion from cooking so much at one time?  Well, as my mom and I giggled about the guys dozing off one by one on the couches, I decided to look up exactly WHAT it is....

Apparently - it's the combination of everything about Thanksgiving Day that makes you sleepy.  The turkey has L-tryptophan, an essential amino acid with a documented sleep inducing effect.  That, mixed with the amount of carbs on your plate, food in general, and the relaxation after the meal could knock you right out! Not to mention if you happen to pair all of that with a glass of wine or two...
To read more about this, click below:


http://chemistry.about.com/od/holidaysseasons/a/tiredturkey.htm

My Dad and Mr. Hess - caught you sleeping!
After the boys woke up from their food coma, we all watched some football and hung out for the remainder of the day.  Thanksgiving really is one of my favorite holidays.  It is a chill, stress free day - and like I said before it is DEDICATED to eating! What more could you ask for?

God has truly blessed me and I am so THANKFUL for my family, friends, and the support system I have.  It's days like this day that makes you sit back and think about what you have and how much you can take it for granted.  I am so fortunate to be able to take time and enjoy an entire plate of delicious Thanksgiving food (or in my case, two plates!) THANK YOU to everyone who is a part of and impacts my everyday life - you know who you are - and I wouldn't be nearly as happy without you!

Hope you got to spend the day surrounded with loved ones and yummy food like I did, 
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

Now off to finish decorating for Christmas....

YUP, I said finish - can't wait for the next Holiday...we start decorating RIGHT when Thanksgiving is over!  

237 days and counting until OUR BIG DAY! 

Until next time,
Presh

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this!